Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Spain in Photos

While I was in Spain, these are some of the pictures I took. I think that these really capture their culture and history. When I was there, I completely fell in the love with everything about Spain.. the culture, the language, the people, the cities! I hope to go back, heck, maybe even take my photography business over there!


Above is a picture of the classic Spanish architecture. I was not only a Spanish student during this trip, but an architecture student as well. I love the little details, and they were all over every single building there! It's so different from central Columbus, obviously.. I think I enjoyed the fact that almost everything was 3 stories or higher. It made me feel like I was in a big city, and the colors and stones and details just pulled it all together. The architecture was like nothing I've ever seen.


This is a typical scene on something called "La Rambla" in central Barcelona. La Rambla is essentially over a mile-long flea market, more or less. You will find anything from artists, to pet stores, to local gardeners, to even these pure entertainers! It was so fun to walk down the street and shop and see all of the different things people had to offer.


This photo was taken in Segovia, which is one of the oldest and most preserved cities in Spain. It is so rich in history and culture. This is the Roman Aqueduct that stretches across the city, and is made entirely of these stones---no glue, no cement, no paste, no pillars, JUST the rocks. The purpose of this was to bring water from the outskirts into the city. The picture doesn't do this piece of architecture justice, and the fact that it is still standing and probably fully operational is what amazed me.


I learned very quickly that Spain is predominantly Christian/Catholic. Everywhere we went, you could walk to a church in any direction. We toured a lot, and after about the tenth one I was still amazed. The churches there are designed so beautifully. The interior architecture, the religious detail, and the size more than anything amazed me. Below is a picture of a church that was built into the side of a mountain. The cross on top of the mountain for the church could be seen through the winding valley probably 20 miles before we even got close, if that gives you any idea as to how big the church was once you got inside. One word: AMAZING.




This is a picture of the average landscaping outside of the palaces in Spain. This is now a tourist attraction, but this just blew my mind. And it wasn't just this tourist attraction, it was like this for every place we went!


This is one of my favorite pictures I have ever taken. A couple walking hand-in-hand on a cold, cloudy day through Barcelona. If this doesn't capture what the relationships are like there, then I have no idea what could. I mentioned earlier that not all families are very affectionate, but I learned the the older generations seem so happy together, and unlike America, Spain has a slightly lower rate of divorce. According to cdc.gov, America is around 50% (6.8 per one thousand marriages, and 3.4 per one thousand for divorces) for divorces, whereas Spain is only 3.14 per one thousand according to typicallyspanish.com. I was unable to find the marriage rate in Spain.

America's stats came from this website:
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/divorce.htm

Spain's stats came from this website:
http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/publish/article_10616.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment